Maize, which is also known as Corn in most parts of the world, was first planted in Mexican region around 10,000 years ago. It is one of the major crops in the world and is produced in large extent at Nagra Farm. There are six major types of corn :
- Dent Corn
- Flint Corn
- Pod Corn
- Pop Corn
- Sweet Corn
In India, Maize is third most important cash crop after wheat or rice. It is used widely in cooking recipes around the world. Corn Flakes is one of the most popular breakfasts in the world. It provides following health benefits :
- It is good for digestion because of its fiber content.
- It helps in lowering down bad cholesterol.
- It helps in reduction of diabetes.
- It is good for eyes and helps improving vision.
- It is very beneficial for heart.
- It helps in reducing various skin problems.
Major production of maize is done in India. Various states that grows large extent of maize/corn are Punjab, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Bihar, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh.
Top ten maize producing countries in the world are :-
|Country||Production (Million Metric Tons)|